Blog About Twitter




Twitter, Blackboard, and in-class discussions, in the context of a professional environment, all allow for different formats of conversation.While Blackboard is a great forum for classroom discussions pertaining to very specific topics that all happen at allocated times, Twitter and in-class discussion are held in much less formal manners. For example, I can tweet at a person, respond to them, or retweet a person's tweet, and I can carry the same message in each of those choices because it is not as limited or as professional as Blackboard. This is an advantage we have with the different formats of tweeting on twitter.

Blackboard also has the disadvantage of not being an app or having an easy to access website. If I have the Twitter app, or if I'm logged in on my computer, I can get notifications about who liked, retweeted, or responded to my tweet. Blackboard, however, requires me to log on to portal, the find my class then go to discussions, find my recent post, and then finally see the comment that was made on my post, or even just look for someone else's post. This is rather inconvenient and time consuming and in this new society of instant communication, any amount of extra time seems to be just too much.

In-class discussions are the best for discussing topics in a curriculum. Learning from people in person has many more senses attributed to it and hence, allows us to retain more information. I can see my fellow contributors and understand their perspective differently, not only because I would know them as a person, but also because I don't have to interpret the manner in which they are saying things. Not much is left to the imagination and a lot more actual conversation can happens in real-time as well. There is no internet buffer, or notification problem. For those reasons I prefer In-class discussions, but as I mentioned, Twitter has it's fast response time and actually allows for the conversation to go on for longer when an in-class discussion ends after the class is over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog: Privacy

Blog: Social Networking

Creativity and New Media